Santouka
Kinton Ramen
(On Baldwin, near Dundas and University)
Price: $15 - 20 per person with ramen, egg extra $1.5
Rating
Ramen noodle: 3 / 5 (Jonathan) 3/5 (Selina)
Soup base: 3.5 /5 (Jonathan) 2/5 (Selina - extremely salty, ordered light and it wasn't good)
Cha-siu: 3 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (the shoulder meat is better than the belly)
Other side dishes (Gyoza): 2.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 2.5/5 (Selina)
Line-up / wait time / service: moderate line up, service: 3 / 5 (Jonathan) 2.5/5 (Selina) had to wait outside
Overall: 3/ 5 (Jonathan) 2.5/5 (Selina)
Comments: five alphabets said it all SALTY. All I can taste was salt, not miso even though I ordered the light miso soup ramen. I was still thirsty after 8 hours despite I drank 2 L of fluid. The pork was ok. It's more gimmic than authethic ramen I found. Glad I went and will likely not going back.
------------
Kenzo
(Sheppard and Yonge location)
Price: $9-10 per bowl of ramen
Rating
Ramen noodle: 2.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 2/5 (Selina)
Soup base: 2 /5 (Jonathan) 2/5 (Selina)
Cha-siu: 2/ 5 (Jonathan) 2.5/5 (Selina)
Other side dishes (Tonkatsu): 2.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 2/5 (Selina)
Line-up / wait time / service: No line up, service: 2.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 2/5 (Selina)
Overall: 2.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 2/5 (Selina)
Comments: was good a few years ago, but has decline in service and quality of noodles. (it was worse in the other store close to Yonge and Steeles)
Hokkaido Santouka
(Dundas and Yonge location)
Price: $15 - 20 per person with ramen, rice combo and drink
Rating
Ramen noodle: 4 / 5 (Jonathan) 4/5 (Selina)
Soup base: 4.5 /5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina - too salty and extremely greasy)Cha-siu: 3 / 5 (Jonathan) 1.5/5 (Selina - worse than what I can cook, sorry!) <-- get="" if="" nbsp="" span="" the="" you="">Toroniku Ramen, the meat is much better, for me that's a 4/5 meat)-->
Other side dishes (Donburi): 3 / 5 (Jonathan) 2.5/5 (Selina)
Line-up / wait time / service: Long line up, tried 3 times, 3 times we had to wait; service: 4 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina)
Overall: 4.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina)
Comments: Jonathan likes this place the best, I didn't care for the soup base at all. There is no egg on a regular bowl of ramen except you order the combo. The egg from the combo was over cooked. We went there when it was soft open. Maybe I'll give it a try once more.
Sansotei
(Dundas and University location)
Price: $15 per person with ramen and drink
Rating
Ramen noodle: 3.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina)
Soup base: 3.5 /5 (Jonathan) 4/5 (Selina)
Cha-siu: 4 / 5 (Jonathan) 4.5/5 (Selina)
Other side dishes (cha-siu rice): 3.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 3/5 (Selina)
Line-up / wait time / service: a short line up, service: 3.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina)
Overall: 3.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 4/5 (Selina)
Comments: The egg comes with the ramen was nicely done. The best ramen egg of all these places so far. It's a small place so it's kind of crowded to eat, especially winter with all jackets and stuff.
Raijin Ramen
(Gerrard and Yonge location)
Price: $12-15 per person with ramen and drink
Rating
Ramen noodle: 4 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina)
Soup base: 4 /5 (Jonathan) 5/5 (Selina - I like their chicken broth, their pork bone soup is good too); The charcoal soup base is my favourite 5/5 for Selina
Cha-siu: 4 / 5 (Jonathan) 4/5 (Selina)
Other side dishes (kara-age/fried chicken, gyoza/dumplings, cha-siu rice): 4 / 5 (Jonathan) 5/5 (Selina - best side dishes in value)
Line-up / wait time / service: no line up, service: 3 / 5 (Jonathan) 3.5/5 (Selina)
Overall: 3.5 / 5 (Jonathan) 4.5/5 (Selina)
Comments: The egg is pretty good. Best value for the price you pay for. The gyoza (Dumplings) reminded me of the ones we had in Japan. There are the bamboo charcool soup based and chicken soup based. I had the chicken soup based ramen and I like it. Milder in flavour.
No comments:
Post a Comment